Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Monday's Reflection

Can you believe it’s October already? I can’t. That’s probably because here, the leaves are still on the trees, green as ever, and the mangos are ripe and the ocean is warm. Oh, and its about 95 degrees – a bit different from the autumns I’m used to enjoying. And as I sit here, typing in my swimsuit with sweat dripping from my temples, I can’t imagine anything better.

Except an agenda. That’s right, I can hardly stand a day without to-do lists and planners, let alone a month. I’ve tried, believe me I’ve tried. But I’m beginning to realize why nothing works out here quite the way I want it to. First and foremost, I’m working in a timeless community where clocks are rarely operating and watches are accessories, not necessities. To be on time is optional, not obligatory, and no matter the words used, even if one says “I promise to visit,” there seems to be no sense of commitment, nor any expectation they’ll show. Furthermore, I am working with children so a day perfectly planned with detailed instructions and activities quickly turns to chaos once kids are involved. And really, what purpose would the activities have if I did them by myself? So while kids are necessary participants, I can’t help but feel grateful to have made it past age 16 without a child, unlike many girls we see in these parts. Truth be told, they’ve expressed sympathy when they hear I am 22 years old without kids. Here some women seem to believe I’ve become useless, with nothing to show after living my prime years.

In response I try to explain that I do have quite a bit to show for my prime years; a high school diploma, a college degree, and possibly a future career at some point (cross your fingers!).  But without an education, women here have explained to me the of use children to prove their worth – like an instant family, someone who will always look up to you no matter what you have or haven’t done. I get it, and here is a big cheers to education.

Alright, I digress. Back to that part about an agenda. Matteson’s sister has a friend here in the Peace Corp, Kenzie, who warned us we’d be bored. She said that while Las Terrenas is beautiful, it’s slow moving. Perfect for vacations, but two months is a long time in a vacation spot.

I couldn’t agree more with Kenzie, but as the weeks go on Matteson and I find more forms of entertainment amongst the calm and beauty of Las Terrenas. And while a city life is a blast, I believe that’s what the rest of my life will consist of: the hustle and bustle of busy city life. So why not take a break before it all begins?

What a great idea – a break! Bummer is, following through with the idea and actually relaxing is another thing entirely. My parents have taught me to do many things well; to take initiative, to work hard, to learn whenever possible, and to be nice to others. But one lesson they forgot was how to make the most of nothing – how to sit - just to sit - and enjoy. Matteson has the same problem. But as the time passes without agendas, internet access or TV shows, we get better at enjoying each day as it is.

And that’s the difference between Las Terrenas and Minnesota (or MI or any other of the states).  In MN, we tend not to appreciate today as much as tomorrow’s prospects. We’re always looking ahead to what’s bigger, brighter and better. I graduated from school and could hardly appreciate the days without homework because the spare time only meant one thing – unemployment. And who was I if I was unemployed? But what I failed to realize is the time I spent learning about myself. And what I’m realizing now is how lucky I am to have time here at all; even if there are moments we don’t know what to do with.

So while I’m a list-maker, note-taker, agenda focused gal, I can’t help but appreciate the challenge of enjoying these hot, sticky days with a whole new set of responsibilities. My tasks are with children, for children, rather than by myself for my future, for adults and for companies. There’s no internet for research, no lesson plans to print, no websites to evaluate or press releases to catch up on. It’s us and them, and each activity evolves in reaction to the character of whomever is participating. Now there’s an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment